Bar Admissions: Kansas, Missouri, Oregon
Practice Groups: Environmental; Healthcare
Education: Washburn University, JD, 1989; University of Kansas, BA, 1987
Memberships: Vice-Chair of the Superfund and Natural Resources Committee of the ABA Section on Energy, Environment and Resources (SEER); Mentor, Oregon State Bar Association Mentor/Mentee program; Mentor, Women in the Environment, Portland Chapter; Member, Oregon State Bar Association Environment and Natural Resources Committee; Member, Oregon Women Lawyers; Member, Multnomah County Bar Association; Member, Kansas Bar Association; Member, Missouri Bar Association; Member, Defense Research Institute (DRI); Member, The Oregon Association of Defense Counsel; Member, Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (CLM).
Ilene Munk is the managing partner of the Portland office of Foley & Mansfield and co-chair of the firm's national Environmental Practice group. In addition to Oregon, Ilene serves clients throughout the Pacific Northwest, as well as Kansas and Missouri. She is an experienced environmental defense attorney with substantial involvement in Superfund and contaminated property matters, including regulatory defense. She currently serves as Vice-Chair of the ABA SEER Superfund and Natural Resources Subcommittee.
Ilene holds an AV pre-eminent rating with Martindale-Hubbell, named by her peers as an attorney with the highest possible rating in both legal ability and ethical standards. Ilene is able to provide strategies for clients facing regulatory enforcement actions related to business operation or accidental release.
Her experience includes hazardous substance release investigation, allocation, remediation and cost recovery litigation. As a former EPA enforcement attorney, Ilene has experience in Superfund, RCRA, CWA and CAA matters. She routinely defends clients in matters involving state and federal regulatory enforcement proceedings and environmental permitting matters, or natural resource damage matters.
- Represent multiple parties in connection with large Superfund groundwater contamination site resulting in 90% liability reduction.
- Represent client in Portland Harbor Superfund Site including matters involving EPA, Oregon DEQ, and allocation issues.
- Represent major property development firm involved in sale of challenged real estate proximate to Superfund site with successful sale and development.
- Represent Fortune 500 clients in due diligence property acquisitions, negotiation of Prospective Purchaser Agreements and Brownsfields development.
- Represent manufacturing and industrial clients in environmental enforcement proceedings related to RCRA, CAA, CWA, EPCRA and FIFRA claims.
- Represent clients with Permit acquisition, modification and closure activities related to RCRA and CAA permits.
- Represent agricultural client in successful trial alleging misapplication of pesticides.
- Represent clients in Superfund matters related to removal and remedial actions.
IN THE NEWS
lene Munk, Managing Partner of the Portland office of Foley & Mansfield, is co-chairing the American Bar Association Master Class on Complex Environmental Liability Resolution in Atlanta, Georgia on June 12, 2019.
Ilene Munk of Foley & Mansfield will be a panelist at the Jun 18, 2019 Perrin Environmental Risk & Litigation Conference in New York.
March 12, 2019
Ilene Munk Moderating ABA Water Law Conference Panel
Ilene Munk will moderate a panel discussion on a case on appeal to the Supreme Court relating to stormwater management and tribal fishing rights at the ABA Water conference this month in Denver.