Bar Admissions: Washington, U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington, Oregon
Practice Groups: Toxic/Mass Tort; Construction; Real Estate
Education: University of Virginia School of Law, JD, 2004; Fordham University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, M.A., English Language and Literature, 2001; U.S. Naval Academy, B.S., English, 1994.
Jim Hicks, an attorney in Foley & Mansfield’s Seattle office, focuses his practice on personal injury, products liability, real estate, and construction. As an experienced trial lawyer, he has successfully guided his clients through all phases of litigation, mediation, and arbitration.
Jim serves as a court-appointed Arbitrator for the Mandatory Arbitration programs for King, Kitsap, Thurston, Mason, Harbor, and Clallam Counties, and has handled more than 30 cases in personal injury, construction, and commercial disputes. He also serves as a Hearing Officer for the Washington State Bar Association.
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Jim was a Surface Warfare Officer in the U.S. Navy, serving as the Ordnance Officer on USS McClusky (FFG-41), the Staff Engineering/Material Officer in COMPSRON ONE, and as a Navy ROTC Instructor and Sailing Coach at the SUNY Maritime College in the Bronx.
- Obtained very favorable jury verdict for defendant in four-week trial involving allegations of severe brain injury at multi-employer industrial worksite.
- Obtained very favorable jury verdict for defendant in three-week trial involving allegations of personal injury at construction worksite.
- At summary judgment, obtained dismissal of seven-figure claim for damages related to plaintiff’s mesothelioma allegedly arising from exposure to defendant’s products.
- Successfully defended commercial real estate developer in multi-million dollar lawsuit involving claims of flooding and loss of business opportunity; after conducting extensive discovery, uncovered damaging facts that compelled plaintiffs to settle claims for fraction of claim.
- At trial, obtained judgment for specialty contractor in lawsuit against general contractor and property owner, including entire principal balance, all attorney’s fees and costs, foreclosure of mechanic’s lien, order for sheriff’s sale of real estate, and complete dismissal of counterclaim for delays.
- Defended large construction manufacturer in wrongful termination lawsuit; upon filing aggressive summary judgment motion, forced former employee to dismiss all claims and pay more than $100,000 to employer.
- After very favorable summary judgment ruling, obtained $750,000 settlement for condominium homeowners association in lawsuit against developer for construction defects.
- Successfully negotiated termination agreement for high-level employee of client construction supplier, including severance package for employee and complete release of all potential claims against employer.
- Reviewed and negotiated numerous contracts for contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, and property owners.
IN THE NEWS
January 9, 2018
Client Alert: Washington State Asbestos Update 1/9/2018
Noll v. American Biltrite Inc. On remand by the Washington Supreme Court, trial court denied plaintiff’s motion to establish personal jurisdiction over out-of-state supplier of asbestos used as component of asbestos-cement pipe.