Bar Admissions: Louisiana: Texas; U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana; U.S. District Court, Middle District of Louisiana; U.S. District Court, Western District of Louisiana
Practice Groups: Toxic/Mass Tort; Product Liability; Transportation; Maritime
Education: Tulane University Law School, Masters of Law in Admiralty; Tulane University Law School, JD, 1986; Tulane University, B.A., History, 1983
Memberships: Louisiana State Bar; Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel; New Orleans Bar Association - Executive Committee, Admiralty Matters; Texas Bar Association; The Maritime Law Association of the United States; The Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM) - Secretary for the Southeast Louisiana Division, 2011 to the present, 2011 Annual Conference Executive Committee; American Bar Association - Vice-Chair of the ABA Admiralty Committee, ABA Advisory Board.
David Shaw, a trial attorney in Foley & Mansfield’s New Orleans office, focuses his practice in insurance defense with an emphasis in toxic tort, product liability, transportation and maritime law. Experienced in all phases of litigation including discovery, client consultations, case evaluation, budgets, strategy, motions, settlement negotiations, trials, and appellate practice, David has tried numerous complex and simple matters at trial and appellate levels and has negotiated numerous cases at mediation with favorable results.
Throughout his career, he has provided comprehensive legal counsel for insureds and insurers in a wide variety of claims, and has successfully handled multiple, large exposure, high dollar cases to favorable conclusion. David also has invaluable knowledge and experience gained through nearly two decades working in the insurance industry, where he has served major insurers in roles including Home Office Counsel and National Litigation Management Counsel. In these positions, he was responsible for the qualitative and quantitative performance of outside counsel, firm reviews and audits, and best practices and business analytics.
- BUNGE EDIBLE OIL CORPORATION, Plaintiff-Appellant v. M/V TORM RASK, ET AL., Defendants-Appellees, No. 91-3174, UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS, FIFTH CIRCUIT, 1992 AMC 2227, 949 F.2d 786, January 2, 1992
- WENDELL C. MATHIS AND VIRGINIA MATHIS, Plaintiffs v. UNION EXPLORATION PARTNERS, LTD., ET AL., Defendants, Civil No. 90-2009, UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT, EASTERN DISTRICT OF LOUISIANA, 1992 AMC 719, October 9, 1991
- CERA-TECH, S.A., Plaintiff v. S/S ALLISON LYKES, HER ENGINES, ETC., IN REM AND LYKES BROTHERS STEAMSHIP COMPANY, INC., Defendant, Civil No. 90-2093, UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT, EASTERN DISTRICT OF LOUISIANA, 1992 AMC 2089, May 30, 1991
- Miller v. Mr. B's Bistro, Inc., CIVIL ACTION NO. 04-3271 SECTION "L"(2) , UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE EASTERN DISTRICT OF LOUISIANA, 2005 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 17693, August 3, 2005, Decided , August 5, 2005,
- Cuccia v. Cyrus, CIVIL ACTION NO. 94-2707 SECTION "R", UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE EASTERN DISTRICT OF LOUISIANA, 1995 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 9208, June 22, 1995, Decided , June 22, 1995, FILED; June 23, 1995
- Home Ins. Co. v. National Tea Co., No. 91-C-0692 consolidated with 91-C-0667, SUPREME COURT OF LOUISIANA, 588 So. 2d 361; 1991 La. LEXIS 2799, October 21, 1991
- State v. Cent. Gulf Towing, L.L.C., NO. 07-CA-166 C/W 07-CA-167, COURT OF APPEAL OF LOUISIANA, FIFTH CIRCUIT, 07-166 (La. App. 5 Cir. 10/30/07);, 2007 La. App. LEXIS 2028, October 30, 2007
- O'Rourke v. Days Inn New Orleans, NO. 2006-CA-1588, COURT OF APPEAL OF LOUISIANA, FOURTH CIRCUIT, 06-1588 (La. App. 4 Cir. 05/24/01);, 958 So. 2d 1212; 2007 La. App. LEXIS 1114, May 16, 2007, Decided, Released for Publication July 19, 2007.Writ denied by O'Rourke v. Days Inn New Orleans, 964 So. 2d 348, 2007 La. LEXIS 2040 (La., Sept. 21, 2007)
- Littlefield v. Iberia Bank, NO. 04-CA-1334, COURT OF APPEAL OF LOUISIANA, FIFTH CIRCUIT, 04-1334 (La. App. 5 Cir. 03/15/05);, 900 So. 2d 925; 2005 La. App. LEXIS 617, March 15, 2005, Decided , Released for Publication May 16, 2005. Writ denied by Littlefield v. Iberia Bank, 902 So. 2d 1032, 2005 La. LEXIS 1634 (La., May 13, 2005)
- Clark v. Department of Pub. Safety & Corrections, No. 96 CA 2737, COURT OF APPEAL OF LOUISIANA, FIRST CIRCUIT, 96 2737 (La. App. 1 Cir. 02/20/98);, 716 So. 2d 1; 1998 La. App. LEXIS 300, February 20, 1998, Rendered, Rehearing Denied April 2, 1998. Released for Publication April 8, 1998.
- Ebanks v. Reserve Marine Enters., No. 93-CA-154, COURT OF APPEAL OF LOUISIANA, FIFTH CIRCUIT, 620 So. 2d 355; 1993 La. App. LEXIS 2025, May 25, 1993, Decided, Released for Publication July 16, 1993.