Bar Admissions: Michigan
Practice Groups: Employment Law & Litigation, Commercial Litigation
Education: University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, 1996, JD; Michigan State University, 1991, B.A., Political Science
Memberships: Michigan Association of District Court Magistrates; Oakland County Bar Association; Rochester Bar Association; State Bar of Michigan
Melinda Balian is a partner in the Detroit office of Foley & Mansfield. She focuses her practice in employment law and litigation.
She has assisted numerous organizations in taking a proactive approach in managing the workforce to protect against employment-based claims by establishing policies and procedures to provide employers the maximum legal protections afforded under applicable federal and state laws. Melinda has also litigated numerous matters on behalf of organizations and individuals relative to breach of non-compete agreements, discrimination, harassment, FMLA, breach of contract, and other employment related claims. She also is experienced in handling administrative claims with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and Michigan Department of Civil Rights.
Melinda has assisted various individual health care professionals with regulatory and administrative matters, including violation of due process within the health care organization. She also serves health care providers – including group practices, home health agencies and other health care related entities – on contractual and employment related matters.
In addition to her law practice, Melinda has served as a Magistrate in Oakland County for the 52/3 District Court in Rochester Hills since 1999.
- Representation of health care professionals during compliance investigations, and self-disclosures.
- Drafting, reviewing and enforcing employment agreements and overall guidance regarding employment related issues.
- Assists professionals with matters involving violation of due process rights.
- Successfully obtained the dismissal of EEOC and MDCR charges of discrimination on behalf of employers.
- Assisted with internal investigations of employee complaints, including but not limited to allegations of harassment and discrimination.
- Provides regular employment and managerial advice regarding hiring, termination and discipline of employees.
- Assists clients in creating Employee Handbooks, practices, policies and documentation designed to deter employment-related claims, including FMLA, discrimination and wrongful discharge claims.
- Successfully enforced non-competes and non-solicitation agreements both pre-litigation and through litigation.
- Regularly drafts non-compete and non-solicitation agreements.
- Advises individuals on compliance with non-compete and non-solicitation agreements and how to avoid litigation.
- Representation of individuals in all facets of employment law, including but not limited to breach of contract, discrimination, harassment, FMLA and violations of the Whistleblower Protection Act and Federal False Claims Act.
IN THE NEWS
Foley & Mansfield is pleased to announce that six attorneys in the firm’s Detroit and Grand Rapids offices have been named to the 2014 Michigan Super Lawyers® and Rising Star® Lists.
Michigan’s New Internet Privacy Protection Act (MIPPA)