Our Commitment to Diversity
In a local community that is global in essence, Foley & Mansfield understands that having a diverse, multifaceted team allows us to provide the best legal solutions for our clients. Our objective is to increase diversity at Foley & Mansfield and make it a more inclusive organization.
Diversity is represented by a number of characteristics, including gender, race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, viewpoints, economic background, education and experience.
Working together gives us all an enhanced appreciation for the subtle differences in cultural attitudes and style that make us each unique - and together, make our experience remarkable.
Foley & Mansfield's Diversity Committee is comprised of individuals from across the firms' 10 offices, who work collaboratively with office management and staff to further our commitment to a diverse workplace. Several recent initiatives of the committee include:
- Establishing a formal attorney mentoring program focused not only on legal skills, but on providing mentees with a broader range of exposure to clients, organizations and communities in which they may not previously have had opportunities to interact due to cultural, economic or other barriers
- Hosting the Vice President and General Counsel of Employee & Labor Relations for Target Corporation to speak to our attorneys about Target’s struggles and successes in promoting diversity and inclusion throughout the last 20 years
- Hosting diversity receptions in Minneapolis and Los Angeles for law students
Perhaps our greatest strength as a firm is our ongoing commitment to addressing inequality and injustice through our numerous industry and community involvement initiatives:
- Active participation, leadership and financial support for minority bar associations nationwide, including the Wilke J. Ferguson Bar in Miami and the San Francisco La Raza Lawyer’s Association
- Active participation and leadership in the Anti-Defamation League and related organizations that promote civil rights
- Participation in the Everybody Wins Reading Program, wherein firm volunteers read once a week with inner city elementary students
- Annual firm mission trips – most recently a group of attorneys and staff traveled to Baja, Mexico to help build houses, clean up the community, and work with orphanages
- Extensive pro bono work for organizations like Tubman and ConnectWC in Minnesota and their equivalents elsewhere in the country
- Participation in STEP-UP’s Mock Interviews, providing young people with valuable feedback and suggestions for improvement as they prepare for summer job interviews
Foley & Mansfield is a proud member of Twin Cities Diversity in Practice, an association of legal employers with a single mission: to attract, recruit, advance, and retain attorneys of color to the Twin Cities community.